Knights’ Castle and Abbot’s Seat
In 1185, the Knights of Nuzzin, were first mentioned as the owners of the castle on the rock spur. But what the castle had looked like is unkown.
In 1315, the Meissen Bishops acquired the castle and held ituntil they sold it in 1436 to Altzella Monastery. Until the dissolution of the monastery in 1540, the castle remained a retreat for the abbot.
Electroal hunting and travel lodge, seat of the bailiwick
After the Reformation, theformer monastic property of Altzella became the Nossen Office. It was given its seat at Nossen Castle, which the Elector had converted from 1554 with the rubble from the monastery into a representative Renaissance castle. The west wing with the three round towers reminding us of the Moritzburg Castle towers originate from that time as well as the »Giant Hall«, parts of which part serve still today as venues for events. The castle has preserved its present shape since the end of the 17th century.
In the footsteps of Saxon nobility
Nossen Office was dissolved in 1945. The Regional Museum ectended to further rooms in the west wing. In 1993, the Free State of Saxony took the castle over merging it into one administrative unit with the Altzella Monastery. Since 1996, permanent and special exhibitions have presented the eventful history of the place and commemorate the almost forgotten nobility of Saxony.
Administration of the bailiwick and jurisdiction
In 1630, the castle became the seat of the bailiff and served mainly administrative purposes unti the 19th century. It was the seat of the tax office as well as the judicial office with the court and dungeons. From the 19th century on, it became increasingly abandoned and was, among other purposes, used as a subsidiary of the Weildheim correctional institution, as a Saxon regional museum and for residential purposes.
Am Schloß 3 | 01683 Nossen
Property of State Palaces, Castles and Gardens of Saxony, non profit
+49 (0) 35242 504-35
March 30 to November 4, 2018
- Tue - Fri: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sat, Sun, public holidays: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
November 5, 2018 to March, 29, 2019
Subject to change.
Subject to modifications.
- Full rate 4,00 EUR
- Reduced rate 3,00 EUR
- Full rate: EUR 4.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 3.00
- Children aged between 6 and 16: EUR 1.00
- Group rate for school students (15 people and more): EUR 1.00 per person
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 3.00 per person
Combined ticket: Altzella Monastery Park and Nossen Castle
- Full rate: EUR 6.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 5.00
- children: EUR 2.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 5.00
- Guided tour surcharge: EUR 2.50 (in German), EUR 5.00 (in English) per person
- Guided tour surcharge for pupils: EUR 1.50 per person
- Minimum surcharge for guided tours: EUR 35.00
- Children aged 5 or younger
- People visiting the castle on their birthday
- Accompanying adults of severely disabled people (entry »B« in the disability pass)
- Tour guides
- Tour bus drivers accompanying a tour group
- One accompanying adult per 10 school students
- Media workers (valid identification required)
- Holders of the schloesserlandPASS
- Discount Pass “Sieben auf einen Streich” (“Seven at One Blow”): valid for Altzella, Gnandstein, Kriebstein, Mildenstein, Nossen, Rochlitz and Colditz. When submitting a full-rate ticket from one of the above properties, visitors are granted the reduced rate at the 2nd property. Those who visit all 7 properties with their “Discoverer’s Pass” will be admitted to the last property for free.
Subject to modifications.