The history of Nossen Castle verifiably began in 1185 – at least this was the year when the owners of what used to be the castle then, the Knights of Nuzzin, were first mentioned in records. What is left of this original castle is nothing but a few foundation walls.
The ownership of the castle changed several times. In 1315, the Meissen Bishopric acquired Nossen Castle. About 120 years later, in 1436, the abbot of Altzella Monastery bought it from the Meissen bishop and chose it to be his abbot’s seat.
In 1540, in the course of the Reformation, Altzella Monastery was dissolved and became property of the Saxon elector. From then on, Nossen Castle served as the administrative seat of Amt Nossen. Elector Augustus even used demolition material of Altzella Monastery to expand the castle into a hunting and travel lodge. By the end of the 17th century, the castle had been given its present-day appearance.
Since as early as 1630, Nossen Castle has also been the seat of the bailiff. Until the 19th century, the castle was further extended to become the seat of the district court. Mainly serving administrative purposes, the castle accommodated the bursary, the judiciary including the judicial office and dungeons.
In the first half of the 19th century, the castle was altered again by converting various areas into rented apartments. From 1954 to 1986, the west wing was used by the town’s museum of local history. Since the early 1980s, the castle has been extensively redeveloped in stages. After the castle had completely passed into the ownership of the Free State of Saxony, these redevelopment works were intensified.
Nossen Castle and Altzella Monastery have formed a joint castle operation as a part of the State Palaces, Castles and Gardens of Saxony since then (non-profit since 2013).
Since 1996, the permanent exhibition on the history of the castle and Amt Nossen has been open to the public in the west wing, illustrating the administrative history of the castle in much detail. The south wing, unused so far, is being planned to serve as a museum to illuminate the historical role of Saxony’s nobility. Redevelopment works are going to start in the months to come. Every year since 2011, special exhibitions have been dedicated to one aspect of the future museum.
Am Schloß 3 | 01683 Nossen
Property of State Palaces, Castles and Gardens of Saxony, non profit
+49 (0) 35242 504-35
March 25 to October 31, 2017
- Tue - Fri: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sat, Sun, public holidays: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
November 1, 2017 to February 2018
Subject to modifications.
- Full rate 4,00 EUR
- Reduced rate 2,00 EUR
- Full rate: EUr 4.00
- Reduced rate*: EUR 2.00
- 2 adults and up to 4 children**: EUR 9.00
- 1 adult and up to 2 children**: EUR 5.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 3.00 per person
- Group rate for pupils: EUR 1.50 per person
Combined ticket: Altzella Monastery Park and Nossen Castle
- Full rate: EUr 7.00
- Reduced rate*: EUR 4.00
- 2 adults and up to 4 children**: EUR 15.00
- 1adult and up to 2 children**: EUR 9.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUE 5.00 per person
- Children aged 5 or younger
- People visiting the castle on their birthday
- Accompanying adults of severly disabled people (entry »B« iin the disability pass)
- Tour guides
- Tour bus drivers accompanying a tour group
- 1 accompanying adult per 10 pupils
- Journalists for reporting purposes (valid identification required)
- Holders of the schloesserlandPASS
Subject to modifications.